MY APPROACH TO BREATHING
Since you have individual reasons for wanting to address breathing, and individual circumstances that affect your breathing, I work with you to clarify your needs and discover what will help. I encourage you to take creative risks and find pleasure as we work. I also welcome difficulties when they arise because they provide meaningful opportunities for learning.
For many people, understanding in simple and accurate terms how their breathing works is revelatory, but it's not enough. Rather than molding your breathing into a fixed ideal, l start by helping you develop an intimate awareness of your breathing and then help you “unlearn” old habits or ideas that limit the freedom of your breathing. That's the heart of breathing coaching.
Depending on your needs, we can focus on these and other areas:
- Developing a better relationship with your breathing.
- Learning specific exercises to help you experience greater freedom in your breathing.
- Becoming more fluidly present and able to focus on what matters.
- Develop breathing technique to help you speak or sing from your core.
Many Different Ways In
The work is conceptual, experiential and practical, and the emphasis changes as needed.
- Why Conceptual? Because how you understand something affects how you do it. Many people, even after study, have narrow, inaccurate, and unhelpful ideas about breathing.
- Why Experiential? Because it’s not enough just to understand something. In order to learn something deeply, you also need to be able to experience it directly.
- Why Practical? Because it’s important for our work to be useful outside of the studio.
"Developing free and responsive breathing helps you relax and improves the experience of whatever you do."
- Private Lessons in Breathing
I offer private lessons in my West Hollywood studio to help you with breathing,.
Breath-related work can also be done in voice workshops -- offered locally, nationally and internationally.
- Teacher Training
The Fitzmaurice Voicework Teacher Certification Program is grounded in a deep, varied, and practical exploration of breathing.